"Kindness is the greatest floss..." from The Razor's Edge

When I was in college working at Muir's Drug Store on Michigan Avenue, I remember reading an article about a "rudeness syndrome" that was sweeping the country. Part of the problem, the author felt, was the younger generation's lack of concern for humanity and continual focus on self. I could not stop laughing when I read it! Interestingly though, as I shared the article with friends, family, and co-workers, they agreed with the author! That was in the seventies, and I am happy to report that forty some years later, a New York Times writer, Nicholas Kristof, believes that people are getting nicer. Well, it's about time, don't you think!!

Friday, November 25, 2011

Storiez

I miss my crazy brother Steve. Steve passed away in his sleep over twenty years ago, but our family still thinks of him all the time and about the funny antics he used to get involved in. Here, he is pictured with his roommate
and good friend Pete. In his sagging pocket is a pack of Marlboros, and behind him, his custom van sports a mystical painting with a dragon on it and it seems to me a skull appeared somewhere on it as well. The two of them had just arrived in Austin for a visit when I snapped this shot.
During the visit we took them to the Capitol,
Barton Springs, County Line, and other local hot spots. I wrote a story about Steve entitled "Shoes" that you can read by clicking here.


Millie Tales

Mildred Malone, or Millie for short, is a timeless character known for spending time in San Antonio, Texas; Kalamazoo, Michigan; and various places around the globe. Her life is a mixture of adventure, romance, and mystery. You won't want to
miss following her life story by clicking here! Co-authors A and E are collaborating with me to bring you the best, most true to life depiction of this beloved lady, now in her seventies. Based upon interviews, historical depositions, and ship records, an amazing story of courage and perseverance is emerging. This collection of Millie Tales is a work in progress, so if you know Millie or know of additional information that can be verified for inclusion, please contact me or one of the co-authors!

No comments:

Post a Comment