"Kindness is the greatest floss..." from The Razor's Edge

When I was in college working at Muir's Drug Store on Michigan Avenue, I remember reading an article about a "rudeness syndrome" that was sweeping the country. Part of the problem, the author felt, was the younger generation's lack of concern for humanity and continual focus on self. I could not stop laughing when I read it! Interestingly though, as I shared the article with friends, family, and co-workers, they agreed with the author! That was in the seventies, and I am happy to report that forty some years later, a New York Times writer, Nicholas Kristof, believes that people are getting nicer. Well, it's about time, don't you think!!

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Political Pitter Patter...

About the OCCUPY Movement..

This webcast by English Al-Jazeera is very interesting. I had not considered that the Occupy protesters might be protesting something that could be summed up as systemic violence. This kind of violence hurts many people, but is much more invisible and varied in its forms. Check it out here.
Then there is the story of Ray Kachel that is so moving and relevant in understanding the Occupiers. Take a look at this New Yorker article on Ray.

Then there is talk about transformational schools. Check it out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment