"Kindness is the greatest floss..." from The Razor's Edge

When I was in college working at Muir's Drug Store on Michigan Avenue, I remember reading an article about a "rudeness syndrome" that was sweeping the country. Part of the problem, the author felt, was the younger generation's lack of concern for humanity and continual focus on self. I could not stop laughing when I read it! Interestingly though, as I shared the article with friends, family, and co-workers, they agreed with the author! That was in the seventies, and I am happy to report that forty some years later, a New York Times writer, Nicholas Kristof, believes that people are getting nicer. Well, it's about time, don't you think!!

Friday, November 25, 2011

Living the Vida Verde




We are scaling down, at least I think we are. I am thinning down the clothing choices, taking books to Half Price Books, and generally trying to

de-clutter the house. It's hard though, for someone who clings to things sentimentally and categorizes things as useful season by season. A spare environment used to signal sadness in my brain--going without--because I've accumulated things, LOTS of things to keep around me at all times. I now want to keep things simple and easy to organize.

This,however, is not an easy task. One day I bag and label donations; the next day, I am pulling things out and finding a reason or person to keep it for! My goal is to have pared things down as much as possible by the end of December....Will I be able to make this deadline? I'll keep you posted...


gazelle.com is a site I learned about in a magazine where you can recycle old electronics. First, you find the item you want to sell according to a listing on their site. Type in a description of the condition of your old cellphone, broken digital camera, or whatever, and they will send you free packaging and labels for shipping. They are not interested in old printers, however.


1 comment:

  1. I have a credenza in blond ash if anyone would like to have it. It is the sort of thing that sets on a desk with shelves and a few divider areas. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete